Effective Date: Jul 26, 2018
2. Data Episodal Collects And Receives
Episodal may collect and receive text, graphics, images, video, links, and other information of any kind (collectively referred to in this Policy as "Data" or "Content") in a variety of ways:
- Individuals registered with an Episodal individual user account ("Users") can submit Content when using the "public" function of Episodal.
- Users granted access to a private organization account ("Organization") by an existing Organization User ("Member") submit Content to Episodal when using the Service.
- To create or update a User or Organization account, you or your Organization supply Episodal with an email address, phone number, password, domain, EIN, and/or similar account details.
- To purchase a subscription to the Paid Service, you provide Episodal (or its payment processors) with billing details such as credit or debit card information, banking information and/or a billing address.
Episodal also collects information describing the usage and interactions of visitors on the Site or Users on the Service.
- When a User interacts with the Service, metadata in the form of usage logs is generated that provides additional context about the way Users accomplish tasks using various features. This allows us to improve and add features that are relevant and useful to Users and Organizations.
- As with most websites and technology services, our servers automatically log information when your browser or mobile device communicates with the Site or Service. This log data may include the Internet Protocol (IP) address, the address of the web page that referred you to the Site or Service, browser type and settings, the date and time the Service or Site was used, language preferences, cookie data, and performance metadata about the request.
- Episodal collects information about devices accessing the Services, including type of device, what operating system is used, device settings, and crash data. For the purposes of technical support and troubleshooting the Site and Service, Episodal may also collect unique application and device identification numbers.
- Episodal collects information from your browser or device - in accordance with the consent process provided by your browser or device - that helps the Service approximate your location. This Data is used by the Service to provide geo-location based features such as address autocomplete, as well as by the Site for general data analytics purposes.
- Users can elect to use certain features on the Service or Site that are integrated with Third Party Services. By using these Third Party Services, the provider of that Third Party Service may share certain information with Episodal. For example, the User may choose to register a new account by authorizing Episodal to verify their identity through a trusted social media application. We do not receive or store passwords for any of these Third Party Services when connecting them to the Service.
- Episodal collects personal and/or contact information when submitted to the Site or Service for the purposes of technical support, beta user and/or focus group participation, contest or promotion, activity or event, job application, social media interaction, any other type of correspondence with Episodal.
Generally, no one is under a statutory or contractual obligation to provide any Data or other information (collectively, "Information"). However, certain Information is collected automatically and, if some Information is not provided, we may be unable to provide the Service.
3. How We Use Information
Information will be used by Episodal in accordance with the User’s instructions, including any applicable terms in the Episodal Terms of Service (at https://episodal.org/about/terms) and User's use of Service functionality, and as required by applicable law. Episodal is a processor of Information and User is the controller. User may, for example, use the Service to grant and remove another User's access to an Organization, assign roles and configure settings, access, modify, export, share and remove Content and otherwise apply its policies to the Service.
Episodal uses Information in furtherance of our legitimate interests in operating our Service, Site, and business. More specifically, Episodal uses Information:
- To provide, update, maintain and protect our Service, Site, and business. This includes use of Information to support delivery of the Service under our Terms of Service, prevent or address service errors, security or technical issues, analyze and monitor usage, trends and other activities or at a User’s request.
- As required by applicable law, legal process or regulation.
- To communicate with you by responding to your requests, comments and questions. If you contact us, we may use your Information to respond.
- To develop and provide tools and additional features. Episodal tries to make the Service as useful as possible for Organizations and Users. For example, a User may contact us requesting a desired feature or modification to the Service, or describing a problem that could be solved by the Service.
- To send e-mail and other communications. Episodal may send you service, technical and other administrative e-mails, messages and other types of communications. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our Services, our Service offerings, and important Service-related notices, such as security and fraud notices. These communications are considered part of the Service and you may not opt out of them. In addition, we sometimes send e-mails about new product features, promotional communications or other news about Episodal. These are marketing messages so you can control whether you receive them.
- For billing, account management and other administrative matters. Episodal may need to contact you for invoicing, account management and similar reasons and we use account data to administer accounts and keep track of billing and payments.
- To investigate and help prevent security issues and abuse.
4. Data Retention
Episodal will retain Information in accordance with a User's instructions, including any applicable terms in the Terms of Service and User's use of Service functionality, and as required by applicable law.
Depending on the Service usage plan, User may be able to customize their retention settings and apply those customized settings at the Organization level. User may also apply different settings to different types of Content. The deletion of Information and other use of the Service by User may result in the deletion and/or de-identification of certain associated Information.
5. How We Share And Disclose Information
This section describes how Episodal may share and disclose Information. Users determine their own policies and practices for the sharing and disclosure of Information, and Episodal does not control how they or any other third parties choose to share or disclose Information.
- Episodal will solely share and disclose Information in accordance with a User's instructions, including any applicable terms in the Terms of Service and User's use of Service functionality, and in compliance with applicable law and legal process.
- When a User submits Content, it may be displayed to other Users in the same or connected private Organization account. For example, a User's email address may be displayed with their profile. The User may also elect to use the Service's "public" functionality, thereby consenting to have that Content made viewable to other authenticated or unauthenticated Users.
- The Service provides different ways for Users working in private Organization accounts to collaborate with Users not granted access to those private Organization accounts.
- Owners, administrators, Users and other Organization representatives and personnel may be able to access, modify or restrict access to Information. This may include, for example, your organization using Service features to export logs of Organization activity, or accessing or modifying your profile details.
- Episodal engages third party companies or individuals as service providers or business partners to process Data and support our business. These third parties may, for example, provide virtual computing and storage services.
- User may enable or permit Third Party Services to interact with Episodal on their behalf. When enabled, Episodal may send Data to Third Party Services when expressly required to operate those Third Party Services. Third Party Services are not owned or controlled by Episodal and third parties that have been granted access to Data may have their own policies and practices for its collection and use. Please check the privacy settings and notices in these Third Party Services or contact the provider for any questions.
- If Episodal engages in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of Episodal’s assets or stock, financing, public offering of securities, acquisition of all or a portion of our business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence), some or all Information may be shared or transferred, subject to standard confidentiality arrangements.
- We may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified Information for any purpose. For example, we may share aggregated or de-identified Information with prospective Users for business purposes, such as telling a prospective Episodal User the total number or types of organizations that use the Service.
- If we receive a request for information, we may disclose Information if we reasonably believe disclosure is in accordance with or required by any applicable law, regulation or legal process.
- To protect and defend the rights, property or safety of Episodal or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or security issues.
- Episodal may share Information with third parties when we have consent to do so.
Episodal takes security of data very seriously. Episodal works hard to protect Information you provide from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the Information we collect, process and store, and the current state of technology.
Given the nature of communications and information processing technology, Episodal cannot guarantee that Information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
7. Age Limitations
To the extent prohibited by applicable law, Episodal does not allow use of our Service and Site by anyone younger than 13 years old. If you learn that anyone younger than 13 has unlawfully provided us with personal data, please contact us and we will takes steps to delete such information.
9. Data Protection Officer
To communicate with our Data Protection Officer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Identifying The Data Controller And Processor
Data protection law in certain jurisdictions differentiates between the "controller" and "processor" of information. In general, User is the controller of Information. In general, Episodal is the processor of Content and the controller of Information.
11. Your Rights
Users have certain statutory rights in relation to their personal data. Subject to any exemptions provided by law, you may have the right to request access to Information, as well as to seek to update, delete or correct this Information. You can usually do this using the settings and tools provided in your Service account. If you cannot use the settings and tools, contact the Organization or Episodal support for additional access and assistance.
12. Data Protection Authority
Subject to applicable law, you also have the right to (i) restrict Episodal's use of Information that constitutes your Personal Data and (ii) lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
13. Contacting Episodal